Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Carryin' the Banner!

Sorry, couldn't resist the Newsies reference. This blog post is about the newspaper I read embarrassingly often: The Daily Universe.



Let me preface this with a few key statements. I am a college student - hence, I have little to no free time! I like to fill the free time I DO have with naps, movies, time with friends, or catching up on the million to-do's that get pushed out of the way when it's paper time. I am not a hugely political person. It's interesting, but I simply don't get enough exposure to issues to have concrete opinions or political preferences. I don't read the Washington Post or Wall Street Journal. I don't have time, remember?

I realize that's completely my fault. I see other noble students pulling out the Times and keeping up-to-date on world events and feel a twinge of jealousy at their political know-how. Call me crazy, but I feel like you need to have political opinions to be an educated, contributing adult. Hence, I have a goal to read more newspapers and take a stance!

Okay, here's how the Daily Universe fits in. While I don't seek out random newspapers during the week, I do enjoy reading BYU's paper as I eat my delicious L&T wrap in the cougareat. I get snippets of world news, laugh at the police beat, catch up on the cougar sports, and marvel at the meat prices at Smiths. It may seem silly, but reading the Daily Universe makes me feel a bit more cultured (don't laugh!), simply because I'm taking time away from books and online databases to get a peek at what's going on around me.

Imagine my disappointment that after this year, the Daily Universe will be available in paper format only once a week! Do I really need to spend more time online? Nope. I don't think this bodes well for my personal newspaper-reading goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment