Friday, January 20, 2012

Singin' in the Rain



Two nights ago I re-watched one of my top ten FAVORITE films, "Singin' in the Rain." This movie makes me nostalgic for days I never even lived through! The glamorous costumes, heart-felt songs, clean humor, and INCREDIBLE dance routines make me feel so wistful for the talent of past decades. I think the tap dancing in this movie stands today as a memorial to a lost art. But I digress.

Interestingly, this movie's plot documents a huge change in media that took place in the 1920's - the transition from silent to "talkie" films. While the storyline follows the struggles of the actors during this transition and what it meant for their personal lives, it was interesting to see how the film portrayed the technical glitches that came along with implementing early sound systems. I enjoyed thinking about how thrilling it must have been to hear words connected with actors movements in early films.

Well, "In the words of that immortal bard, Samuel J. Snodgrass" - this is one of the best films ever made. And if you're confused about that quotation, just watch the film clip below. :)



Donald O' Connor = Amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that movie!! I remember my freshman year I convinced my FHE family to have a Singin in the Rain party with me. Shows like that just make me really happy inside. And I'm SO glad you posted that video. I loved watching it! :)

    ReplyDelete